Securing Pro-Business Wins in the Courts
July 28, 2021
The U.S. Chamber Litigation Center recently helped secure critical victories for business in state and federal courts:
- Upholding damages caps: The Missouri Supreme Court upheld the state’s cap on medical malpractice damages, bolstering state legislatures’ authority to enact other damages caps.
- Supporting arbitration: The Eleventh Circuit rejected an effort to broadly neuter the Federal Arbitration Act as applied to the transportation industry.
- Promoting environmental regulatory stability: After the Chamber intervened as a party to defend the Trump administration’s Navigable Waters Protection Rule, a federal court dismissed environmental groups’ challenge to the rule.
- Respecting the corporate form: The Pennsylvania Supreme Court rejected an expansive theory for piercing the corporate veil between sister companies.
- Limiting COVID liability: The Chamber helped persuade the California Court of Appeal to take up the question whether workers’ compensation is the exclusive remedy for tort claims by persons who allegedly contracted COVID-19 from family members who allegedly contracted it on the job.